:LINKS ARCHIVE BLOG Profile


Seven & Seventeen
Monday, May 26, 2008

Seven
Waking up early on a Saturday morning wasn’t weird
because I wanted to beat my brother to the chair in front of the TV.
Eating Cocoa Puffs drowned in milk while watching Road Runner escape the Coyote.
You walked in and stole me from my chair
careful not to spill my now chocolaty milk.
I giggle and stare at the silver ring on your lip.
Tickling me always gets a scream and a squirm, and I fight back,
failing to push you away.
I always hated you for being so much bigger than me.
Stupid seventeen year olds.
Hours pass with me curled on your lap,
Bugs Bunny now the only thing we’re looking at.
You told me I’d grow up to be like you
“…with lip rings like me and dyed hair…”
I laugh at how silly that seems.
“See you later baby doll.”
I waved my goodbye, too caught up in the TV to say it.

Seventeen
Who told me the monsters were gone and sang me to sleep?
The boy who slipped away too soon
sterling attached to his chapped lips.
The last thing you said to me was “baby doll”
and I miss the sound of it.
I wish I’d said goodbye but I was laughing as Daffy Duck declared Duck Season.
Stupid seven year olds.
Ten years are almost gone but he can’t see me now.
Wish he could see me
growing up to be like him.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home